E-WASTE RECYCLING POLICY
Reliance Retail Limited, having its registered address at 3rd Floor, Court House, Lokmanya Tilak Marg, Dhobi Talao, Mumbai-400 002 (“Reliance”, “we”, “us” or “our”) is managing and operating the mobile application/website www.reliancedigital.in (collectively referred to as the “Reliance Digital Platform”), through which it inter alia facilitates the sale of mobile, tablet, television, audio, home appliances, computers, cameras, kitchen appliances, personal care and grooming accessories and other products (“Products”) to the users of the Reliance Digital Platform (“User” or “Users” or “you” or “your” or “customer”).
The Information and Communication revolution has brought enormous changes in the way we organize our lives, our economies, industries and institutions. These spectacular developments in modern times have undoubtedly enhanced the quality of our lives, but at the same time, have led to manifold problems including the problem of massive amount of hazardous waste and other waste generated from electric products. Such waste poses a serious threat to human health and environment. The issue of proper management of such hazardous E-Waste is therefore critical to the protection of livelihood, health and environment.
To deal with this ever increasing problem of E-Waste, the Government of India, through its Ministry of Environment and Forest, formulated the E-Waste (Management and Handling) Rules in 2011.
RELIANCE STANDS COMMITTED TO IMPLEMENT THE E-WASTE RULES
E-waste means electrical and electronic equipment or products, whole or in part discarded as waste by the consumers or bulk consumers, as well as rejects from manufacturing, refurbishment and repair processes (such waste comprises of both usable and non-usable material). E-waste, if left unattended, will be detrimental to environment. E-waste may comprise of hazardous substances like lead, mercury, toxic material and gases. Look for the relevant E-waste logo on the equipment, before discarding it. If the E-waste logo is present on the equipment then it’s an E-waste.
Waste has been defined as-
“Substances or objects, which are disposed of or are intended to be disposed of, or are required to be disposed of by the provisions of national laws.”
E-waste has been defined as-
“Waste electrical and electronic equipment, whole or in part or rejects from their manufacturing and repair process, which are intended to be discarded.”
Electrical and electronic equipment has been defined as-
"Equipment which is dependent on electrical currents or electro-magnetic fields to be fully functional".
Like hazardous waste, the problem of E-waste has become an immediate and long-term concern as its unregulated accumulation and recycling can lead to major environmental problems endangering human health. This calls for an urgent requirement of E-waste management so as to preserve the ecological balance and reduce landfills. Recycling end-of-life products is vital if we are to save resources and minimise waste.
In this regard, Reliance Digital Platform has tied up with The Pegasus, which is an ‘E-Waste Authorised Recycler’ (Producer Responsible Organization (PRO)), to facilitate disposal of E-waste products after its end-of-life by us as well as our customers.
AS AN ENVIRONMENTALLY CONSCIOUS ORGANISATION, WE HAVE INITIATED VARIOUS ACTIVITIES TO PROMOTE E-WASTE RECYCLING.
We recommend 100% recycling and disposal through ‘E-waste Authorized Recycler’ to avoid the adverse effects of E-waste.
ADVERSE EFFECTS OF E-WASTE
- Toxic material present in E-waste gets mixed with soil, air, water, etc. and causes health issues.
- Oil & gases which are present in E-waste like compressors and CRTs cause environment pollution.
- Batteries contain highly hazardous elements.
- Burning of rubber & plastic in open area causes air pollution.
- Adverse impact on human beings, animals and other living organisms.
- Wastage of natural resources.
HOW CAN YOU CONTRIBUTE TO A GREENER ENVIRONMENT?
- All electrical and electronic products are required to be handed over only to ‘E-waste Authorized Recycler’ for recycling or disposal.
- Keep E-waste in an isolated area after it becomes non-functional/un-repairable, so as to prevent its accidental breakage.
- Please call on toll free number 18003090950 for collection of E-Waste.
You can also deposit your E-Waste directly at the collection centres. For information of collection centres please Click here.
Creating new products require raw resources. But when we recycle, existing materials can be put to use. Recycling reduces the extraction of fresh raw materials, and utilises existing material that are no longer in use. This assists in the conservation of natural resources.
Each time we recycle a product, it requires lesser energy than producing a new product from scratch. There is considerable savings as processes related to extraction of raw materials, its transportation, refining etc. can be skipped by utilising recycled products.
Production and disposal of products require a great deal of extraction, refining, processing and dumping of material, which have a significant impact on the environment. By recycling, we mitigate pollution in air, water and land, thus reducing the greenhouse gas emissions which contributes to global warming.
Don'ts for E- Waste
- The product should not be opened/dismantled by the user himself/herself, but only by authorized service personnel.
- The product is not meant for re-sale to any unauthorized agencies/scrap dealer.
- The product is not to be mixed with other household waste.
- Do not keep any replaced spare part(s) from the product in an exposed area.
Terms and Conditions
- This initiative is a step towards our commitment for a cleaner and greener earth.
- This policy demonstrates our commitment to this issue and therefore we request all our customers to join this movement by recycling their end-of-life products.
- For more information about E-waste please visit: https://thepegasus.co.in/.
- For any assistance/guidance for disposal of E-waste please call on the toll free number 18003090950.
- Products offered for recycling are not eligible for exchange offers.
- This service is available subject to the applicable conditions of the ‘E-waste Authorized Recycler’ in the relevant locations.
- We reserves the right to change the terms of this policy at any time, at our sole discretion.